If you're looking for a unique and unforgettable destination wedding location, Puerto Rico might just be the perfect choice. For those seeking a truly unique experience, a hacienda wedding should be at the top of your list. Haciendas in Puerto Rico offer breathtaking views, historical charm, privacy, and a high degree of customization, on-site accommodations that your guests will love. With a fusion of Spanish, African, and indigenous cuisine, and you can even incorporate local traditions and customs into your special day. With plenty of adventure and leisure activities to enjoy, Puerto Rico is an easy and accessible destination for all.
In this blog, I will go over the top 10 reasons why a Hacienda Wedding is for you and of course -we have some cons in the mix. As always I'll share my insights and give you solutions so you can make informed decisions.
Are you ready!? Let's go!
Here are the top 10 reasons why you should have a hacienda in Puerto Rico
1. Scenic beauty: Haciendas in Puerto Rico offer breathtaking views of the island's natural beauty, including lush tropical forests, pristine beaches, and crystal-clear waters. They are unique Venues, with so many different options to choose from, you are sure to find a venue that fits your style and vision.
2. Historical charm: Many haciendas in Puerto Rico are centuries-old estates that have been preserved and restored, offering a glimpse into the island's rich history and culture.
3. Privacy: Haciendas offer an intimate and private setting for your wedding, away from the hustle and bustle of more touristy areas.
4. Customization: Haciendas allow for a high degree of customization, from the decor to the menu, to suit your vision and preferences. Most offer just the event rental fee so you can source your vendors freely. Use architecture and scenery as inspiration for your decor and stationery.
5. Accommodations: Some haciendas offer on-site accommodations for you and your guests, making it easy to keep everyone together and create a wedding weekend experience. It almost feels like you are living in a "telenovela", you'll love it.
6. Local cuisine: Puerto Rico's cuisine is a fusion of Spanish, African, and indigenous influences, offering a unique and delicious culinary experience for your wedding guests. Open spaces offer more possibilities in terms of live
stations such as paellas or our traditional "lechón a la vara" which is roasted pork.
7. Great locations for adventure and activities: Puerto Rico offers a wide range of adventure and leisure activities, from exploring the rainforest to surfing, snorkeling, and more.
8. Easy travel: Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, which means no passport is required for U.S. citizens, and flights from many major U.S. cities are frequent and affordable.
9. Stunning Photo Spots; most will offer a variety of spaces for you to rent out. You can have your ceremony overlooking the Rainforest; cocktail at the main house and reception at the terrace.
10. Rich Culture – An hacienda wedding will give you the chance to experience the rich culture and history of Puerto Rico, haciendas are an authentic representation of the island’s history and traditions.
If you've been here a while you know that I will not sell you on something without being transparent about the cons. Haciendas are stunning but they come with some logistic matters that you need to be clear on:
1. Rainy season: Puerto Rico's rainy season typically runs from April to November, which means that outdoor weddings at a hacienda can be risky during these months.
Offset: by monitoring the weather and clearly speaking on "Plan B" options, wedding planners got you covered.
2. Heat and humidity: Puerto Rico's tropical climate can also make outdoor weddings uncomfortable for guests, particularly during the summer months. High temperatures and humidity levels can lead to heat exhaustion and dehydration.
Have water and fans for your guest.
You can also rent out fans and ACs for the outdoors, they are an eyesore but necessary in some cases. Consider it as an option.
Make sure they know the conditions so they dress appropriately, this can be done through your invites and wedding website.
3. Transportation and parking: Many haciendas in Puerto Rico are located in rural areas, which can make parking and transportation difficult for guests.
If all guests are booked into a hotel; charter them in. This is great because there will be a designated driver at the end of the night and everyone will arrive safely.
Know that UBER might be an option to get from San Juan to rural areas but coming back might not be an option unless you book in advance.
4. Limited accessibility: Some haciendas in Puerto Rico may not be fully accessible for guests with disabilities, which can make it difficult for them to fully enjoy the wedding festivities. This can be especially problematic for guests with mobility issues or elderly guests who may have difficulty walking long distances.
Note: This is one that always gets me as many of these locations were built before regulations and accessibility codes were effective. So, be mindful of grandparents, and older guests. We want everyone to feel included and this matter of how they will be able to move is very important.
We have it all... but I might be biased.
Puerto Rico is a stunning location for destination weddings at a hacienda, it is an excellent choice for couples looking for a unique and unforgettable experience.
When you envision your dream wedding think of all these details and choose with your heart. It will be stunning.
If you are feeling stuck; I've got some more resources for you!
Follow me on
I'm always sharing tips and tricks.
Plan with intention, and live every second of it!
I am Thais; a time saver, dream maker, and organizer of all things. I develop the overall aesthetic tying in all pertinent vendors to create one stunningly cohesive event.
I manage the planning, logistics aspect as well as direct the curated team of creatives.
I make it happen and can’t get enough of it.
The team behind these photos (Instagram handles):
#Weddingstylist #WeddingPlanner @livents_thaisvazquez | #WeddingPhotography @garyrosadophotography | #WeddingVideographer, storyteller @bluecouchpr | #WeddingBranding and #Stationery @liliweds.co | #WeddingDesign #WeddingDecor @lorrainesflowers | #WeddingCake @bodasenpunto | #HaciendaWeddingVenue @siestaalegrevenue @haciendasiestaalegre | Catering @foodparadisecs
DJ @joaquinopio | Pleneros @yuviplena | Mariachis @mariachisondemexico
Ceremony Officiant @palabrasdeguerrera